YIELD: 10-12 slices
For the cake
1 cup Kahlua liquor
4 tablespoons light sour cream
2½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
¾ cup Hershey’s Special dark chocolate cocoa powder, sifted
1½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
For the frosting
2 tablespoons hot water
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup Hershey’s Special dark chocolate cocoa powder, sifted
8 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons Kahlua or Baileys
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
For the ganache
6 ounces dark chocolate chips
2 to 3 tablespoons Kahlua or Baileys
- For the cake: Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease three 8-inch cake pans with Crisco and dust with cocoa powder to help easily release the cake after it is baked.
- Combine the Kahlua and sour cream in a cup, stir until the sour cream is mixed into the liquor and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift the flour and cocoa powder. I usually sift my cocoa powder with a sieve instead of my actual sifter. Add the baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Combine the melted butter in a large mixing bowl with oil and sugar. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, ensure that each egg is well beaten before adding the next one. Add the vanilla extract together with the last egg.
- Visit Chocolate Mudslide Cake @ beyondfrosting.com for full instructions.