1 cup basmati rice
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 tablespoons yellow corn
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
1 cup crushed canned tomatoes
1.5 cups vegetable broth or water
juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
- Rinse and soak rice in enough water for 15-20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add chopped red onion and cook for a minute. Then add chopped jalapeno and cook for a minute.
- Add chopped garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add yellow corn and mix. Add cumin powder, salt, pepper and mix. You may also add some cayenne pepper at this point to increase the heat.
- Visit Vegetarian Mexican Rice @ cookwithmanali.com for full instructions.